Walk 26 -
From Edgware Tube Station, at the Northern End of the Northern to Mill Hill East via Mill Hill Park and Arrandene Open Space
Walk Distance 6.5 Kilometres (4 miles)
Underfoot Mostly surfaced paths. Some footpaths in Arrandene Open Space
Journey Time (from Central London to Stratford) 30 minutes
Getting Back to Central London By tube from Mill Hill East (change at Finchley Central)
Points of Interest Nature Reserve (Sat/Sun), Mill Hill Park, Arrandene Open Space
Refreshments - Cafes at Edgware, Shops and Takeaway Fish & Chip Shop in Pursley Road
Opportunities For Shortening This Walk None
1. Turn right out of Edgware Tube Station into Station Road. After 60m, turn right into Bakery Path and follow it through to Brook Avenue. Turn right, and walk to the end of the road. Go into a small park via a metal kissing gate and go across a bridge over Deans Brook. Follow the path to reach the corner of Farm Road and West Way. Go ahead up West Way to the end of the road. Turn right into Deans Lane. Walk to the pedestrian lights, cross the road to the opposite footway and continue in the same direction.
2 Saturday and Sunday if the nature reserve is open – take the path which descends immediately from the road on your left and enter a nature reserve via a metal gate. Follow the path and then go right to exit in The Meads. Re-join the instructions as at (3) below.
3. Monday to Friday, or if the nature reserve is closed - Go ahead and turn left into Dryfield Road. After 450m pass a green on your right and swing left to enter The Meads which runs parallel to Burnt Oak Brook. Follow this road to the very end and go through a green gate in the left hand corner by the houses, to enter Lyndhurst Park. Follow the path straight through the park and up some steps into Bunns Lane.
4. Go right on Bunns Lane and use the first traffic island to cross to the other side. Walk, in the same direction, past a roundabout and continue along the left hand footway. Follow Bunns Lane as it swings left to pass under a railway line and a the M1 Motorway. Reach Flower Lane with Mill Hill Park ahead of you: cross over and turn left up the footway. At this point you can walk diagonally left across the grass of the park or walk up the footway until you reach a path on your right. Follow the path and go under a subway into another section of Mill Hill Park.
5. Continue straight ahead to pass some tennis courts on your left. Before reaching a car park, turn right along a smaller path and follow it until you exit the park through a kissing gate into Wise Lane. Turn right for 20m, cross the road and go through another gate, set in the hedge, into Arrandene Open Space. Go ahead uphill on a grassy path. At the top, ignore a crossing path and go to the right around some trees to enter a woodland track in the bottom right hand corner of the open space. This leads you uphill to another grassy area. Take the broad grassy path, going slightly right, which descends. Go through a gap in a row of trees and continue ahead passing through some more light woodland. Finally turn right to reach the exit to Wise Lane.
6. Turn left, cross the road and go right along Milespit Hill. Walk to the end and turn left into Pursley Road. After 50m there are shops on the left. Go ahead over a bridge. At the far side of the bridge, cross the road and go down some steps beside the parapet of the bridge. At the bottom, swing right on to what appears to be a disused railway line. Pass under the bridge a walk for 400m to pass through a metal field gate into a grassy area with houses ahead. Enter an alleyway between the houses and continue ahead until you reach a minor road (Bettacy Road). Turn right and follow the road as it swings left to reach a main road (Bettacy Hill). Turn right into Mill Hill East Station.